What are the advantages of private home care services?
Living independently from day to day can become increasingly difficult as we advance in age. Health problems, physical limitations and memory loss can easily diminish our ability to perform our usual tasks. As a result, things that used to be commonplace, such as housework, cooking and even personal hygiene, can become an ordeal.
The desire of many to remain in their own homes
In a 2013 survey conducted by the RBC, 83 percent of retired Baby Boomers in Canada expressed a desire to utilize home care services. Aging safely in the comfort of their own homes is clearly a priority for most seniors and their families.
The advantages of private home care
One of the main advantages of home care services is that they allow seniors to maintain their dignity and a sense of day-to-day independence. This boost in confidence can have a significant impact on their well-being and quality of life. What’s more, the cost of private home care services is much lower than the cost of many assisted living facilities.
You should also be aware that the provincial government has increased the tax credit for using agencies to provide in-home support. The credit is now 37 percent for any person age 70 or older.
If you’re comparing it with living in a senior residence, you should also be aware that the ratio of clients to employees in a facility is approximately 20:1. With a home care agency like Elite Comfort, the ratio is 1:1. The agency employee focuses all of his or her attention on just one person: you or your loved one in need of support.
The advantages of private home care include the following:
- Increased independence;
- Confidence, well-being and security;
- Familiar environment, easily accessible to loved ones;
- Respect for privacy;
- Ideal setting for those who are uncomfortable with group living;
- Support in performing day-to-day tasks;
- Companionship on outings, shopping trips, appointments, etc.;
- Flexible scheduling for care and assistance services;
- Lower cost than a retirement home or assisted living facility;
- Possible tax credit.
What kinds of services are offered by a private home care agency?
The available home care services are numerous and varied, encompassing different areas of day-to-day life, such as personal hygiene, meal preparation, mail sorting, grocery shopping, etc.
Care and support services include the following:
- Preparation of healthy meals
- Light housekeeping: vacuuming, dusting, sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning the kitchen and bathroom, taking out the trash, etc.
- Running errands: picking up prescriptions at the pharmacy, going to the post office, etc.
- Assistance with medication: reminding clients to take their medication, helping them open the containers and read the labels.
- Laundry: assistance with washing, drying, ironing and putting away clothes.
- Recreational activities: any activity aimed at maintaining clients’ physical health and mental capacities, whether taking a walk, attending church, going to the cinema, playing card games or board games, or any other pastime.
- Transportation: taking clients to doctor appointments, the barber or beauty salon, etc.
- Organizing mail: sorting mail, reminding clients when bills are due, etc.
- Help getting dressed
- Conversation and companionship: providing opportunities for social visits aimed at breaking clients’ solitude and improving their quality of life.
- Assistance with personal hygiene: bathing, oral hygiene, etc.
- Support for increased mobility: promoting clients’ physical activity and helping them improve their health.
- Guidance for healthy eating habits: helping clients adopt a suitable meal plan.
Home care: one agency for all your needs!
Many of us share the same hope that, as we grow old, we’ll be happy, healthy and surrounded by those who are dear to us. A private home care agency can help you achieve that goal. At Elite Comfort, we know that each individual is unique, which is why we create a personalized care plan. Your well-being is our priority, so contact our dedicated team today!